Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Winter chill is necessary

It is amazing to me that learning about horticulture and arborculture gives me insight into family life. Fruit trees need winter chill. We all go through seasons and cycles in life and the trees are not an exception. The number of hours my apricot tree need to break dormancy is 300-800 hours. The equavalanrt time in days that it is continously exposed to below 45 degrees Faraenheit or below is 12-32. How many days have been bad, cold, and unbearable days? Fruit trees need this time to be dormant. The tree will only break dormancy after some warmth for natural growth processes to begin. This chill is essential for the tree to perform OPTIMALLY( in the best or most favorable way). I wonder why as parents we try to shield our children from hard times or growing opportunities. Yes, it is hard to watch. Yes, we went through it, but some(myself included) want to keep our children from having to go through this winter chill. I am going to try to be less concerned when I see that chill going on. I don't need to take it upon myself to remove this chilling time. I was floored in my gardening class to learn of the flight of the Monarch butterfly. Specifically, the route to the East Coast from Mexico. On their flight, they will eat milkweed and breed on their trip. These butterflies continue to the site on the East Coast that has been there for generations. Actually, a few generations pass on as the trip continues and the Monarch return to the same spot in Mexico. They know where to go, its in their genes. I did hear that some planting of the food they eat was going on in Florida. The Florida visitors of Monarch got lazy and stayed a while in the warm weather and did not fulfill their potenial and make it back to Mexico. I bring this up because it was the ease of the way, that got the tradition removed. One might say tradition is bad, but I believe it it amazing to do what has been done for generations and keep that alive. The Monarchs are gorgeous and so wonderful. Their numbers are reducing. They are not living up to their full potenitial and great Wonder. I am learning to be more careful and diligent with all parts of nature and this world including my family life. Our winter chill includes; lost friends, broken down dishwashers, obstacles in motivation in education, supply chain delays, War, Viruses, and lack of faith. Spring is here, it is now time to grow from these challenges. Pruning, fetilization, education, and caring for others is a wonderful way to make this time beneficial for all. Our neighbors and friends are going through so much as well, it seems if everyone is suffering in some way. I hope to bring comfort and happiness to others in this growing season after the necessary winter chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Last Cabin, Twice Utah, and One Birthday

This was a big trip and very anticipated since we have changes coming up with the ownership of the Family Cabin. We have gone there for over...