I was asked to give my Parent testimony about the in home program we have from Captial Autism Services. This is my first hand account, thoughts, feelings and perceptions of those whom I've worked with while they work with my two children; Celia and Spencer. It has been over a year that we have had them coming to our home doing parent training, lesson with the kids, community outings, and many other teaching opportunities.
I love Capital Autism services! I love how they are there for me for my children's collaboration meetings and IEPs. I love that because of the knowledge they have taught me I am able to come up with solutions that work for my children's school, home, and church environments. It is great to have consistent help from professionals to teach and mold my children.
We have seen considerable growth in both my children. Celia who was really lacking in language and had some major anxiety issues is now able to request before starting a behavior. Many social stories have helped her. We have benefited from schedules for the children, visuals for self help skills and Yvonne my consultant even made us up some Davis dollars to use as reinforcement for the kids for chores and acting appropriately. They look like money but have the children's pictures on it where the president's face would be. Not only have these helps worked but they have lasted.
I am impressed with how professional the employees are with CAS. I have had two programs come into my home in the past and I would refer CAS first to everyone needing services for their child or children with Autism. I feel they respect my beliefs, my home, and my desires for the growth in my children. I feel they are facilitating me and my family to be professionals on Autism. We can cope, come up with ideas and brainstorm our way through each developmental challenge in my family's life. I say family because how our children grow affect the entire dynamic of the family.
We work each week to building a better future for my children and our community. Our children are learning to become better classmates, peers, and members of our society through the great behavioral interventions we have receive through Capital Autism Services. Spencer is non verbal but is currently using his PECS book to ask for things he wants and is becoming more proficient and specific with his contant use. Spence is less self injurious, aggressive, and high strung. My daughter Celia is generalizing to kindergarten at our nearby elementary school. She has made significant growth in language and in many areas of concern. I can attribute help from CAS to these great milestones in my children's lives. I am grateful to have them come to my home and help bring a better life for my extremely special children.
Audrey Davis
Stay at Home Mom of four and behaviorism enthusiast.~
No comments:
Post a Comment