Friday, January 27, 2017

Age of Sails

 It was fun clue into the past and all things nautical to go on Celia's Field trip called Age of Sails. Were were on a ship in San Francisco. I had volunteered to drive months before and Celia had been anticipating the day for. She knew the captain and first mate would be strict. She knew there would be punishments for talking in everyday language from the 20th century and for having idle hands. I didn't realize being a "tall sailor" I would be participating so much in the back to the ages event. It was fun to be in character. I learned to say A Vast when I spotted anything unsafe. There was definitely some team building going on and I felt privileged to bu-lei the sailors as the rigger and learn to hoist sailors up high to reach the sail and mast. Our captain looked a little like the Character Russ Poldark and it felt very surreal like living in real life at the time and place of Pirate's of the Caribbean.

We did get rained on, an the ship did rock to and fro a little too much at times. Overall it was a great experience. I especially felt blessed and noticed the Lord's tender mercies towards me. Pack meeting was on the same day as this event. I was worried about traffic and getting home in time for the track master to set up for the event. The other fifth grade classes that went the this same field trip returned home much later that was feasible for me to do all my duties in preparation for pinewood derby.  We avoided traffic on the way there and a semi that jack knifed on the freeway we were on. We were ahead of our group an arrived there 30 mins early. I noticed I didn't have my lunch for the all day trip so with the extra time I was able to park closely, get a lunch and get some validation for the parking. As soon as we were off the boat, I was able to leave early with the group I was in charge of. They took their birthday cupcakes to go and we arrived home early after all.  Another Mom that knew I was in a hurry offered to wait with my scholars I was in charge of so I was on my way home in no time. We saw many beautiful birds and rainbows were in abundance as well. Pinewood derby went well and I was glad to have had the stamina to endure the busy, demanding, blessed day!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Last Cabin, Twice Utah, and One Birthday

This was a big trip and very anticipated since we have changes coming up with the ownership of the Family Cabin. We have gone there for over...