Christmas in July? I know its not Christmas, but it felt like it yesterday morning when I walked out my front door to get the mail and the neighbors had a blow up snow globe with a snowman on their driveway. They were selling it. Our other neighbor's on the court were having a garage sale. You'd think it was a huge party, there were so many cars parked on our street, people were even walking from down the street. I thought about what they might have written on their garage sale sign to warrant so many costumers, but as I checked out the situation, the signs just said "Garage Sale" and the address. You wouldn't think there is a recession around here by the looks of all the shopping opportunities.
There is a buzz of shopping around here. I check my email and there are many advertisers for the holiday weekend. Its independence day, come buy a couch! It all seems silly to me. I heard an ad on the radio talking about the necessities for the fourth, a BBQ, certain foods, matching t-shirts, and don't forget flip flops! Okay, I admit I took advantage of a great sale on buy one get one free flips flops. I found some that matched my bathing suit I have loved for a while now. I was also affected by the ad for watermelon. I mean who doesn't have watermelon for the fourth right?? Finding out it was overpriced this weekend made me realize, I'm fine to have watermelon any other time of the summer too. Commercialism is really a pet peeve for me. Independence day is a wonderful time to remember our heritage, the sacrifice of others. Its a time to be happy, to have family and friends around, great music and show appreciation. Just like anything, moderation is best. Celebrating without stress, without feeling things have to be a certain way, and with certain people sounds ideal to me. Without sounding too much like I am ranting and raving, I'd like to say Happy Fourth of July and may we keep the spirit of Independence!
No comments:
Post a Comment