A Young girl in our ward talked on Reverence Today. She did a great job giving example to what we as a society seem to give reverence to. We want others to be quiet and focus on the movie, game, or let us focus on our computer and other activities. Are we being reverent when we attend our church services and or listen to those that prepare and teach of Christ? The spirit helps us to be reverent. This girl's example of a testimony meeting as girls camp rang true in my mind. So many girls ages 12-18 together in one place, quiet and reverent when their peers speak of their belief in Christ and their experiences in learning of him and their relationship with Him. You'd think that many girls that age in one place would be quite loud from all the jabber.
Reverence really is a state of being, not just being quiet. We care and listen and give great value to things we reverence. We reverence our nations flag, and our veteran's for their service. We reverence our scriptures and our prophet of the Lord. I want to teach my children reverence. I believe it is important for them to be good upstanding citizens in our society.
It seems to me the youth nowadays are very casual in dress and speech. That values of dressing up for special occasion is lost. Also, reverencing the Sabbath day has been thrown by the wayside by some. It is hard to explain to our children why we dress up on Sundays, why we don't do certain festivities and activities as the rest of the week. It is because our Heavenly Father deemed the Sabbath a day of rest. A time for us to Worship him and rest from our labors. I want to get better at this and be an example to my children. I am grateful for the quiet time on the Sabbath day. I'm glad there is a day where I could have more time to reflect, to write, to read, and remember covenants if I choose it. I hope my children know that I am trying to teach them reverence for our Heavenly Father and his Son, our Savior , by striving to keep his commandment of keeping the Sabbath day Holy.
I have good kids. Emmy is loving visiting the old ward after our new one. That's a lot of worshipping on one day! Joe and Celia come dressed up to church and always wants to bring their scriptures.:) Bri and Spence do so great listening to uplifting music and having their own spiritual day when Spence is less tolerant of organized church services. I think the acoustics of the chapel are hard for him. He seems to do well all through the hymns then the speakers start and he is ready to go. We have church to help us learn and remember to live the gospel, I'm glad Spence helps us to learn about that each day serving him. It's going to be extra tricky teaching him reverence, but he is a special spirit and such a joy in our lives.:)
No comments:
Post a Comment