Sunday, September 11, 2011

My Daughter's Question.


Emmy approached me while at the dining table eating my cereal this morning and asked me, What were we doing on 9/11? Also, What do you remember about it?
Well, at first I started by saying we woke up and since I had three little ones we turned on the TV to watch some PBS and saw the shocking footage. My friend Lisa had called me to tell me about what had happened. I remember talking to friends and family on the phone a lot that day. I told Emmy of the planes and their involvement in the attack.
So many memories flooded back to me like the weirdness of no planes in the air, of how surreal all the footage was, how vulnerable we all felt, and how it seemed unbelievable that this could happen on U.S. soil. I tried to explain how I felt and what I witnessed as the breaking news came forth all that day. I was holding it together pretty good until I said there was some good and amazing things that happened too.
I described how heroic the emergency responders were, how the fire fighters went into the buildings to rescue others as its impending collapse was imminent. I talked about our motto United we stand, about the prayers for the families that lost loved ones, the support for a long time after in rescuing those trapped and giving to those in need spiritually, physically and emotionally. I love that our nation came together to fight terror. It was a unifying thing that happened that day.
What happened that day was memorable, a nations tragedy and the great strength that rose out of it. I am glad we have safety precautions in our public places now because of what we learned. Immense gratitude, patriotism, awareness of evil, love for others, charity, and heroic acts were realized from this terrible tragedy. I am glad Emmy has always been very patriotic and concerned with current events. She loves the flag and I wanted to take a picture of her by our today.
We sang all three verses of the star spangled banner in church today. It was very beautiful and moving. I am grateful for good people, for this land of the free in which we trust GOD. My heart goes out to those suffering and hope that we can all heal and be better because of our unified strength. I am excited that we as family members are interested in each other's past. I love geneology and learning about my ancestors and went on with them. It made me really happy that my daughter wanted to hear what I felt about this historic day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Last Cabin, Twice Utah, and One Birthday

This was a big trip and very anticipated since we have changes coming up with the ownership of the Family Cabin. We have gone there for over...