Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Next Phase For Two.





A new phase in life has started today for two of my kiddos.. Joseph got a cell phone and Spencer will be changing to a school more suitable for his needs. Joseph was squealing and smiling when I told him that he would be able to open his "one" super great Christmas gift early. I got a good deal on his cell phone over a month ago and it activated today. Why pay for it to be used and then have it sitting under the tree right? He got a samsung gravity text, it is extremely similar to the phone Emmy has so I was pleased as could be that she was helping him to get to know his phone and being near him. We play family games that help us all to communicate and cooperate together to get Emmy and Joe in the same room being civil, so to have them near each other and communicating nicely outside of that game time made me really happy.
All Spencer's school life we have fought for him to have a way to communicate better, to have his individual needs met with occupational therapy, speech therapy, and behavioral therapy. This new situation at his new placement has all of those components and so much more. They even have a hammock swing in the classroom! It is hard to consider moving school another time this year, but I am beginning to see it is for the best.
One thing in particular impressed me. They have a listening program that helps kiddos that are very vocal to hear the things their mind needs through earphones and it helps them to not scream as much. Spence hollers a lot in public and at home. It would be nice to have that need met through this listening program to help facilitate a more calm, quiet voice. This school seems to help kiddos with autism in all their challenges and prepares them to be a part of the community and fosters as much independence as possible. It has been a hard road to get to this point, and transitioning can be a tedious and tricky process, but this will be a great move for our buddy.
I'm glad to have my little sons who are not so little anymore and are growing up! parenting is hard, but it is worth it and the love I feel towards and from my family make it all worth it. I told Joe he is a big kid now and he just said " I can't believe I have my own phone!", so cute.~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Last Cabin, Twice Utah, and One Birthday

This was a big trip and very anticipated since we have changes coming up with the ownership of the Family Cabin. We have gone there for over...