Spencer had school this week while my other kiddos are on spring break. I wanted to come visit him today at school and was happy to find out they were having a party. I brought Emmy and Celia with me and we all had a great time. Spencer loves his teacher Barb. She does great things for those kiddos. My kids loved the cupcakes, chips and pretzels. I loved seeing Spencer use his PECS book to ask for things he wanted. He asked for pretzels and tickles and had been asking for me with my picture earlier that day! After the party Spencer had leisure and circuit time. I figured we would leave then and he could travel home on the bus. He heard my plan and looked at me very surprised and concerned. He went to his book and made the sentence I want car ride that has a picture of our minivan on it. It was so exciting and he was very happy to see that I was going to wait for him and take him home with us. There is so much he wants to communicate and I am so happy that PECS is the beginning of that journey for him. He is less frustrated and more understood when we know what he is thinking or wants. Even if the answer is no, we just say its not available and put it on the red page. It helps a lot. Eventually we'd like to transfer that to an I pad with apps and have him bring it with him everywhere, but this little binder if a great start!
No comments:
Post a Comment